Each semester, university faculty members have many responsibilities, including service to their institution. Managing service data is essential for universities to publish accurate faculty accomplishments and build trust with students and sponsors. However, institutions need to use high-quality data management systems to best implement and use data to organize and update information.
What Is Academic Service?
Service for higher education institutions is the act of faculty providing a service to the university, student body, or the outside academic, professional, and local communities that function as an extension of their teaching and researching requirements. Through service, professors and other faculty members can help improve the institution and offer their expertise to other communities that can benefit from it.
Service can take on many different forms, including:
- Institutional service: Staff members can use their faculty service opportunities to help complete and improve widespread institutional initiatives, like serving on a diversity program to increase their campus's cultural diversity. Other examples include serving on a hiring committee to help choose new faculty and administrators and functioning as the faculty advisor for student organizations.
- Community service: The surrounding community can also benefit from faculty members' expertise. Faculty and staff volunteer opportunities for the community might include running a clinic or center to help the public and hosting public presentations or seminars.
- Professional or academic service: While faculty already have teaching and research requirements set by their institution, they should always continually strive to grow in their professional or academic field. Professional service in academia can be organizing or leading a conference, developing and leading a workshop or panel, or serving as an editor for a professional publication, like academic journals.
Regardless of how you choose to integrate service into your current academic schedule or which type you pick, your service will aim to strengthen your institution's initiatives and presence beyond it.
Importance of Faculty Service
Faculty service gives university staff the chance to spread their expertise and provide a unique skill outside of their academic, educational life. However, faculty service also can significantly benefit your institution, beginning with supporting the mission of the university.
Each higher academic institution has its values and goals, which it can use to determine where they need to make changes and carry out initiatives. Faculty can use their service to help support their university's overall growth and development while also backing policies that they are passionate about or areas in which they have research experience and expertise. Faculty can use service opportunities to help their university grow and improve as an academic institution.
Service can also help universities stand out and add value to their school. Prospective students, families, and other important figures, like donors and sponsors, like to know what sets the university apart and see how they serve the student body and communities beyond the university. Displaying your faculty's service accomplishments can show how the university has value beyond education and how professors use their skills beyond the classroom.
Tips for Engaging in Service
It can be challenging for faculty and staff volunteering to work in service and decide which projects to select for that semester. Try these tips to help you take on the service role of faculty:
- Follow passions and interests: You can enhance your service experience by dedicating your time to a project you are passionate about. This can help you narrow down what type and form of service you take as well — if you are more hands-on, for instance, you may want to do community or student work. However, if you are passionate about making large-scale changes, you might get involved in developing and assisting with university policy.
- Use research and expertise: If you work in a very specialized field or you are trying to utilize your research, you can use your expertise in that area to develop a service program that perfectly fits the knowledge you can provide. Especially if you are currently researching a topic, immersing yourself in service related to that research can help keep you engaged with your academic endeavors.
- Look for areas of need: Service is essential for improvement and growth. If you are looking for service opportunities, search for areas of improvement in your university, community, and academic field. With your level of expertise, you can help argue for the need for change and have the qualifications to help carry it out.
As a faculty member, you already have a lot you have to manage and do each semester. While service is essential to your institution, be sure to establish limits for yourself to help prevent burnout and overworking. You want to give your best to your service projects, so choosing less can help you give more to those programs you select.
How to Add Service to Your Faculty Profile
You can add your service to your faculty profile efficiently with Watermark's Faculty Success solution. While other data management techniques may require hours of manual implementation or accessing paper files to view achievements, our Faculty Success software allows professors to automatically update and view their accomplishments by simply uploading their most recent CV.
Using an intuitive and automatic system has many benefits including:
- Organization: When using a data management solution like Faculty Success, you can store all your data in one central database, allowing your institution to maintain organization across departments or campuses. When you need to access that data, you will know exactly where you can find it, saving university staff time and energy searching for it.
- Easy access: Better organization allows for easier access. You can pull from data whenever you need it for better implementation. Whether you are checking your tenure status or helping build a presentation for potential grant sponsors, you and other faculty members can locate and open data with ease.
- Accuracy: Many manual data systems or files use varying file or form systems, causing slight variations in data. Further, manual data entry allows for a higher possibility of human error. Instead, when you use an intuitive system that transforms your uploaded data into university data, you can ensure it will be accurate and reduce the risk of mistakes.
- Automatic data updates: Faculty Success is a comprehensive and intuitive program with many applications from measuring faculty service to tracking tenure progress. You can also use our software to ensure website information and other data points update automatically as professors and staff enter their latest accomplishments.
Highlight Staff Service With Faculty Success
Faculty and staff work hard to help improve their university through teaching, research, and service. Higher education institutions can use that information to build trust between students, families, and faculty, as well as give accurate data to important sponsors and donors who can further help the university grow.
Request a demo today of our Faculty Success solution and begin your journey toward better data management and implementation.
About the AuthorMore Content by Watermark Insights